When A Man Loves - Episode 10 (A SqueeCap)

Shuk: So our young pair is cheerfully chatting while Tae-sang listens to them. He ducks out before they can see him, and he ends up in his car, his shoulder pain back with a vengeance.
JoAnne: Last night Kakashi and I had a brief discussion about what this portends. I feel that this is emotional pain because Oppa is very unsure about whether Mi Do is serious about him. (Oppa, come to me. I won’t make you doubt!) Kakashi thinks he’s going to die from it, because this is a melo and she’s been waiting for people to die and she no longer wants Grandpa Leeteuk to be one of them. Whatever. As I said last night…there was no cancer on that knife. And my Google Fu returns a big ‘aniyo’ on the question of whether you can get amnesia or a heart condition from being stabbed. Well, you could: PTSD, or if you got stabbed in the heart…but not this time. And no one ever dies from anything else in a Korean Drama, so I figure he’s safe.
kakashi: I am not convinced. I think doom is around the corner. Or let me put it this way: I am hoping for some doom, cause what we are getting right now is simply too boring to be allowed. Biggest mistake ever: not making oppa strip in every episode. And with the pain in his shoulder, there would be so many opportunities to strip him! 
Shuk: At the convenience store, Seo Mi-do cleans up Jae-hee’s face while they share snacks and beer.
JoAnne: Yes, his hands and face get all dirty from kneeling on a bus floor, but those white pants (which you are ROCKIN’, Chubs) are still pristine.
kakashi: Yes. These pants ... more on them later. 
Shuk: In front of the bookstore, Jae-hee asks for some tea to bolster his courage. He finally admits to her that his hyung is the thug at work and President Han’s right hand man. He explained the circumstances of his incarceration and asks her not to be afraid of his brother.
JoAnne: Just out of nowhere, this scene. But I’m glad Chubs is loyal to his brother. I was worried about that a little bit.
kakashi: Our lady emotes! Look! Is that surprise on your face? Or are you just happy to see me?
Shuk: We get a parallel scene of him walking away down the street, only this time Dad is happily watching from an upstairs window (versus Tae-sang’s little trip).
JoAnne: Butt out, Dad.
kakashi: Did you say butt? Oh my ... this butt .... (must say, I do like these white pants!)
Shuk: Tae-sang is home when Mi-do calls him (JoAnne – is this the first time SHE calls HIM? Because I think it is..), and explains she went to the bus depot and found her stage diary.
JoAnne: (Shuk, it’s the first time it’s been pointed out, I think, at the very least.) Oppa looked so relieved that she told him where she was and what she was doing, didn't he? It’s not all that odd that she didn't mention Jae Hee because it was such a brief conversation. Don’t you do the same? I do.
kakashi: Why should she mention him? She knows very well that what she's doing isn't exactly considered good manners. And if she doesn't, she's just stupid. 
Shuk: While Tae-sang is sleeping, he goes through a series of flashbacks. One in particular – He waited for her at her college, but she was less than welcoming when she saw him, accusing him of staging the whole seduction scene, and generally blasting him. And I wonder, who the hell is paying for your education, chica?? Nevertheless then, as now, he backs off and promises not to search her out. Back in his sweat-soaked bed, he wakes up, with his shoulder aching.
JoAnne: Oppaaaaaaaaaaa. That was gross. I think I can fix this for you. I need some ice cubes, a little baby oil, perhaps some wine. But first, let’s go take a shower and get you cleaned up. How long does your hot water last, again?
kakashi: Woah, there, sweaty oppa. By the way, I really dig his gangster look. More gangster, oppa, please! And by the way, who else though "Yes! Yes! He is going to take it off!!"
Shuk: At the Lee apartment, the brothers are chatting, and Jae-hee mentions the Uncle Cabbage incident to Chang-hee, and the two of them have a difference of opinion about President Han.

Shuk: Tae-sang decides to call Uncle Cabbage, who is more like a strangling vine, bumming food off of Han Eomma yet again. He tell the Green Leech to call back with information on his mother and his account number. The ahjumma overhears part of the conversation, but he deflects her from asking any questions.
JoAnne: Very uninterested in this sub plot.
kakashi: Please wake me up when it's over.  Have a pretty gif of oppa in the office instead: 
 

Shuk: Chang-hee walks into the President’s office just as he is hanging up, and offers to investigate his uncle. President Han tells him not to bother, but he gets the information from the secretary.
JoAnne: Also this one, although if it puts Chang Hee on screen MORE, and Delusional Diva on LESS…I can always find an upside.
kakashi: Yes. Here: some of him and nobody else. 
Shuk: At the resort site, Mi-do is still wearing the just-kill-me-at-a-construction zone high heels, and Jae-hee mentions the water incident. Mi-do answers a strange phone call and is happily surprised.
JoAnne: I really thought that was going to turn out to be another Chubs deal, but no.
kakashi: Let me do some recycling: 

Shuk: Our little Wifey Wannabe shows up to talk to Tae-sang about the investment companies, sees the pain patch on this shoulder, and all but yanks his shirt off to ‘help’ him replace it. Just about the time Jae-hee and Mi-do walk in. It’s a tableau of Derp faces! Well, except for our calculating vixen.
JoAnne: SLUT! No, but seriously, Oppa. Set some boundaries. The fact that your ass is glorious will NOT keep me from kicking it, if need be. (But I just might be a tad quicker at kissing it better, after…)
kakashi: pretty damn sheksi! 
Shuk: In the conference room, Jae-hee wastes no time putting forth Seon-joo as perfect wife material for the president. The meeting itself is awkward and ugly, with Tae-sang dealing with the anger vibes from both of the other people. Whom he’s helped. For years. Damn ingrates.
JoAnne: Wait a minute there, Shuk. We all know I am Team Oppa down to my toes, but they're allowed to be angry with him when it’s appropriate, and this is appropriate. For Mi Do, she has EVERY right, as the woman he says he loves, to expect him NOT to allow other women to put their hands all over him - especially women who've made no secret of their stupid pointless hopeless love for years, the dumb losers. For Jae Hee, it’s a bit more weird. He’s pissed at Oppa for hurting Mi Do, and he cares about THAT because he wants Mi Do himself. So he’s probably pissed about being pissed but awww, cute, he cares about her feelings, and isn’t just feeling happy that the situation makes things less ok between Mi Do and Oppa, thereby giving himself a better chance. I just confused myself. I think I said that right.
Shuk: Huh?
kakashi: Huh? 
Shuk: President Han states he will meet them at the investment junket on the day of the meeting; Mi-do counters that the two of them could handle it without him, but he is adamant to be there at least for the one day.

Shuk: He peeks at her through his window, tries to call her (her phone is off), and generally wants to get her attention, but she’s having none of it.
JoAnne: I gotta say I am with Mi Do on this one, Oppa. Saranghae and all that, but you are not taking care of business the way you should be.
kakashi: Oh god, this is so booooooring .... 
Shuk: A team meeting is called, and the panic look on Mi-do’s face catches Jae-hee’s attention.
JoAnne: This is what went through Chub’s mind: OMG!!! HER FACE MOVED!!!!
kakashi: oh, it did? I didn't catch that. Have a gif of oppa pacing his apartment instead.
Shuk: At the ramyun shop, Ahjumma is getting inspected by fake inspectors. (Police? Or thugs?) Miss Delusional shows up, but is too busy toning down her lipstick to notice the dangerous guys leaving the shop. Instead, she brings a gift to the shop owner, and promises better things when she marries her boyfriend.
JoAnne: Thugs, Shuk. Grandpa Leeteuk minions. (ooooh, can we have a minion gif? I LOOOVE minions. Best part of Despicable Me. AND already made. Please? Here, look: I have contributed a GIF to our opus:
Shuk: Our little previously-punch-covered chaebol princess pulls a Seon-joo move, and insists Jae-hee meet her immediately for coffee. At the shop, she tell him that her father is willing to invest in the resort, as long as he treats her well, and in spite of The Golden Tree being run by dangerous men. Jae-hee defends the company just as Seo Mi-do shows up to pick up coffee to go.
kakashi: Can't he start dating her already? She's pretty and dresses well. They could shorten the drama by 6 episodes and save a lot of money.
Shuk: Our princess loses no time in bashing Mi-do to Jae-hee, which pisses him off even more. He tells her he has no intention of doing anything with her, and she plays the Splash The Coffee Game. Mi-do witnesses his defense of her and charges the blue bimbo with fire in her eyes and a large pitcher of water. A dripping Jae-hee holds her off, and drags her out of the coffee shop.
JoAnne: Chubs, you are killing me with your awesomeness again. STOP IT. *takes a break, muttering ‘Team Oppa, Jo. You are Team OPPA. Get your act together.’
JoAnne: ooops, how did that get in here? 

Shuk: In the park, they have coffee together, and Mi-do finally tells the story of the previous phone call – she had applied for a position at a local theater company, and the interview is today at 3pm, the same time as the meeting and less than a half-hour from now. Jae-hee’s wheels start turning.
kakashi: One thing this show is good at (it's not a ton of things) is picking really nice locations. 
Shuk: He hires a motorcycle courier to get her to the theater on time (insert gif in mid-sentence; not because I like this woman but because I would really like to hit her over the head, too!)
Shuk: At the meeting, Jae-hee tells President Han that he sent her on an errand. A successful arrival text has Jae-hee hissing “Yes!” during the presentation.
Google Fu: The cool shaped building used as a backdrop for the theater is the Kring Building, built as an entertainment complex and convention hall.

Shuk: It appears from her reaction that she may have gotten the job. Jae-hee texts her with the location of a note he left her (so now we are passing notes like High School?). She answers him that she owes him lunch for his help.
JoAnne: Wait, so Oppa lives in Mousetrap Manor and she’s going to work in a gerbil cage? Tell me that building doesn't look like this, inside. Minus the bright colors.
Shuk: Uh-oh, our dark-root showing Tri-colored Hair Bad guy is having soup at the Alley Restaurant, and loses no time in probing Ahjumma for information. Finding what he needed to know, he leaves, but not until he sees the thank you note from Baek Seon-joo on the restaurant refrigerator.
JoAnne: I will stab you with a chopstick, Grandpa. Leave that nice old lady alone. Just because once upon a time she couldn’t keep her panties on doesn’t mean you should torture her now.
kakashi: Haha, he is actually funny! Look!
Shuk: Mi-do and Tae-sang meet in the elevator, and he quietly asks if she has been avoiding him, but she has a schoolgirl-level snit on worthy of her opponent, and blows him off.
JoAnne: Here’s how that scene should have gone:
Oppa: Are you avoiding me, JoAnne
JoAnne: I have been. You really made me mad.
Oppa: You don’t like it when Seon Joo is around me, do you. She is just an old friend. I know she is -
JoAnne: No, Oppa. Don’t make excuses for her. She likes you and she’s trying to get you to like her. I would be fine if you actually were just old friends, but she isn’t behaving appropriately and you aren’t stopping it. You think it will stop if you ignore it, but that sends a mixed message.
Oppa: Ok, I see what you are saying. I think I should probably tell Seon Joo not to come around any more unless she can respect your place in my life.
JoAnne: I guess that’s fair, although what I really wish is she would just disappear. But I know you’ve known her forever.
Oppa: I’ll tell her this afternoon, and I promise that if she doesn’t pay attention I will tell her not to come around at all anymore. You are worth it, to me.
JoAnne: Aww, Oppa, thank you for understanding and agreeing that her behavior is a problem. Now hit that emergency button. I have something to show you.
Shuk: At lunch, Mi-do and Jae-hee are eating nakji bokum, they talk about her interview: she has been offer a job in London as part of a collaboration project to bring Asian artists to England. The job is, of course, to start within a couple of weeks, and, of course, to last approximately two years.
JoAnne: And of course, for Jae Hee, who is NOT her boyfriend, it’s easy to say ‘oh, you should totally go’. It’s very easy to be the bigger person when its theoretical, Chubs. Plus your age means you AREN’T champing at the bit to get married. You still have to go through Military Service. The whole thing is just a lot easier for you than for my Oppa, no fair using it to make yourself look good.
kakashi: Ah, I love to make food gifs. Yes, this is a gif. See the steam rising? 
Shuk: This episode’s JYP dance mix is a Mi-joon to an audience of three, to “Dance2Night” by 2PM. Mi-joon is down because it doesn’t appear that he will make his debut. Then the gang jumps up and his noona shows him what really really bad dancing looks like.
JoAnne: Really, just *snore*
kakashi: My dislike for her is too big - I'm just not saying anything about her anymore. Or people may think I'm a very rude person. 
Shuk: When arrives back at the bookstore, Tae-sang is waiting. He offers several new diaries, and like a JDorama, offers to hold his hands over his head as punishment. She offers to reapply the patch to his shoulder (and she should be rubbing everywhere while she’s at it, natch); while she is doing this, her father peeks in, and then sneaks away.
JoAnne: Really, Jdorama? I’ve only seen it in Kdramas, so far. But anyway, very kyopta, Oppa. You just stay kneeling there with your arms up. I’ve got an idea.
kakashi: Oh yes. Sheksi time ... 
Shuk: When they face each other, she tells him about the theatrical job. He is accepting of her leaving his company, but his face falls when she tells him that it’s overseas and multi-year. He asks for some time to think about it.
JoAnne: HELLO, REALISTIC RESPONSE.
kakashi: Uhm ... to think about what? Whether he allows her to go or what? 
Shuk: Seon-joo is at her place when she receives a visit from none other than her heart’s dream. Tae-sang folds her into a big hug, and she tearfully wonders if this is for real. Tae-sang pulls away and in a soft voice, says the words we’ve been wanting to hear for nine episodes: “Let’s not see each other again, either as business partners or as friends.”
JoAnne: Alright Oppa now I’m really irritated with you. I’ve been TRYING to convince myself that you were clueless about her continued love for you and that’s why you ignored the problem, but all that hug says to me is you realize how much you’re going to hurt her in a second and you feel bad about it. So now I’m just F***ING PISSED OFF at you for knowingly stringing her along for all these years. What are you going to do to put me in a better mood, Oppa? Think endorphins. That’s a good boy.
kakashi: Hmmm .... for me who watches without sound, this was a very tender hug. I'm shipping them a little. Just a veeeeery little.
Shuk: Rather than a lot of tears, she tells him that he will always be lonely, as Mi-do will never love him back. He quietly leaves. However, she chases after him, and in a park with lights, tells him goodbye. He apologizes again, and she finally admits he never liked her. Her goodbye speech.
BSJ: “I was really happy because of you. I don't have what you want. I'm not the kind of girl that you want, am I? I knew it. I just didn't want to admit it. Just remember this before you go. When you're lost in your life, when you feel like there is no one in the world, remember that you're not alone.”
Shuk: Then she spoils the moment by yelling at his retreating back, “You'll regret letting this treasure slip through your fingers!”
JoAnne: I’m laughing really hard that Shuk felt it was important to point out that the park was well-lit.
kakashi: It really is! Look! 
Shuk: NOO, A HAN RIVER SCENE! Tae-sang looks over the river, and remembers his feelings as a teen finding his house empty.
JoAnne: I’m less angry now, because I understand that for Oppa, a friend is someone you hold on to no matter what because he just doesn’t have that many people in his life. I won’t change my mind about putting her out, but I do forgive him for the hug. That wasn’t just for her.
Shuk: Back his apartment he looks to the piano and the ceramic dolls for comfort that he made the right decision.
JoAnne: You did, Oppa. Can we go look at you in the bedroom now? I find the blue walls soothing. And I need to check your aspirin patch.
kakashi: Nice nostrils. 
Shuk: Jae-hee and Mi-do talk by phone that night. She hasn’t told her parents but she has told her boyfriend. Jae-hee, to his credit, doesn’t immediately push for a break up, but you know he’s thinking about long-distance relationships.
JoAnne: He’s thinking ‘Cool - she’ll go to London for two years, and while she’s tucked away safely over there I’ll run quick and do my MS, and then we’ll definitely get together back here in two years. My plan to keep her from TaeSang will totally work! Hwaiting!’

Shuk: More baseball scenes as Dong-goo meets with Yong-gap. It looks like he is trying to break the weakest link around Tae-sang, as he gives Dong-goo a packet of money and gives him fatherly advice.
JoAnne: F***wads, both of you.
kakashi: I'm starting to suspect something. Is the baseball stuff Product Placement?
Shuk: Amber Eyes meets up with Moneygrubber, and Uncle Cabbage right away starts asking about money. Chang-hee coolly explains he needs the name of the hospital so he can confirm the amount of money needed for the surgery. Uncle Cabbage bolts, Chang-hee catches, and Greeny’s blustering tells him exactly what the deal is.
JoAnne: Behind those lovely eyes, and above those capable hands that cook and clean, which are connected to a very fit torso held up by really nice legs attached to a truly excellent tush, there is a working brain.

Shuk: In the car, President Han casually tells Dong-goo he wired money to his mother's account for his brother's wedding, causing Dong-goo to start crying. See, Oppa really does take care of you, little gangster!
JoAnne: Sh**head
kakashi: Here, have a gif of Han Solo instead: 
Shuk: He takes the money back to Yong-gap, but our Bad Boy in Black tells him to ask President Han about Kim Sung-joon, and that he has found his mother. I’m guessing Kim Sung-joon is the man that supposedly ran off with his mother.
JoAnne: I take it back. You’re ok. You, on the other hand, Grandpa. There is a reason you are lonely and despised. It’s because you’re a JERK.

Shuk: Tae-sang and Mi-do meet at their spot, and he asks her not to go to London and leave him alone again. Her life is her own, she counters, and he asks if she only stayed with him because of the money. She hesitates a moment before saying no. Tae-sang pours his heart out:
HTS: “Back in the days when I didn't have hope, I didn't want to live until I was 40. But now I'm looking forward. Because you will be with me. I might even have a child that looks like you. I will propose soon. Stay with me. Don't go anywhere. I will make you the happiest girl in the world.”
Shuk: Her face is stony when she tells him she will think about it. At the office, two pair of eyes are watching her; young and speculative; and older and hopeful.
Shuk: Her walk home is slow and contemplative as she goes over all the pros and cons of both her life, and the two men.
JoAnne: I do understand his response, but he’s at a different point in his life. She’s not going to understand. Even if she did, though, I'm not sure the right decision for her would be to stay. If she was head over heels for him, I could see her staying and working out some kind of compromise. This is what we do when we love, because our dreams change. They grow, but they also narrow. But she is not head over heels for him. She likes him, but she’s not in love yet. Setting aside the whole ‘Are you CRAZY not to love this man?’ issue, I have to say staying in Seoul would be the wrong decision at this point in her life and in her relationship with him.
kakashi: What, she is not in love yet?! For how much longer is this drama going to run?! Hmm .... what might happen for her to love him ... he could die. That would make her realize how much she cared! 

Shuk: The next morning she is on the Rooftop of Rumination, meeting with Tae-sang. She tells him she is grateful for all that he has done for her and her family, but she wants to break up.
kakashi: I love this location, I really do! 
Shuk: Jae-hee also shows up on the Rooftop, and watches as she coolly tells Tae-sang goodbye and turns from him, but he wrist grabs her to a standstill.
JoAnne: Well. She said ‘I still like you, and I will still pay back the money, but I think we should break up.’ So she likes him, but she thinks they should end things because she needs to take this job. And she’s trying to tell him that she will still pay him back, even though she’s leaving the job he offered her as a way to pay him back - except WE all know he gives not a shit about the money and never did - it was always just a way to keep her nearby. I don't think she fully understood that, though. She’s not dumb, she knows he used the job as an opportunity to see her, but I don't think, as a girl with nothing, that she fully understands how very little the rich man cares about the money he spent. He'd honestly give it all to have her, and not in the squicky ‘I’ll buy you’ way people have accused him off, but more in the ‘I want you more than I want the money’ way. Sadly, I think she is making the right decision. I’m sorry, Oppa. Come here and let me comfort you.
kakashi: What's this plop-plop-plop sound I'm hearing? Oh, it's people dropping this show like crazy. Sorry, ladies, even IRIS2 was better than this.
 

FINAL THOUGHTS

Shuk: I understand Tae-sang’s desperation to have a real home, but his ultimatum was bound to fail. Mi-do is also in the wrong, though, because she sees things in black and white, and doesn’t consider a compromise like, say, “Rich Man Poor Woman”. Long distance relationships can work, but since she has put so little effort into it so far, her indifference will destroy anything between them.
JoAnne: 1. Long distance relationships work (sometimes) between two highly committed people who are deeply in love. We don’t have that here, sadly for Oppa. 
Shuk: I hope JoAnne doesn’t beat me up, but I’m almost hoping for the trauma/amnesia trope hammer to fall on our oppa Tae-sang. It would be worth it just to see her have to work as hard as he has, if she wants get back into his well-muscled arms.
kakashi: Right, Shuk! My thoughts exactly! Amnesia can save this drama. I hate to say it, but it's true. Amnesia or terminal illness. I think Tae-sang will get one. Or he might go blind?
JoAnne: 2. I won't beat you up. I could see that being fun, but I don't think it will go that way. Nope. He’s going to marry the Girl Who Will Accept Crumbs, formerly known as Delusional. I expect a time jump, though. Does that make you happy? I think they must have a romantic relationship (of some sort) after the time jump, but I'm not sure how they get there, yet. There are just so many clichés to choose from, after all! And we have to work out the whole Mom’s Lover mystery, too. Not to mention the dead body in the woods. Oooooh what if Chang Hee killed the lover?
kakashi: Oh yes, let him marry the expressionless biatch (which one, you ask? Well ... the one with the blank face. Which one, you ask? Well, the ... never mind). Just make this drama go away soon, please. Thank you. 
kakashi: do you want some eggs instead?
and btw: If you want to comment but can't, it's a glitch. A very frequent one! Just refresh the page until it turns orange. Once it's orange, you can comment.